Business glossaries are an important content item in data governance (or as we call it data intelligence). Therefore business glossaries are important to all organizations as it allows staff to speak the same language. A business glossary should not be tied to a specific data system. But creating an effective business glossary is not easy. It might involve many discussions (sometimes heated). So how do you create a business glossary? Well, we have written some blog posts, created some videos and done some webinars on the subject of business glossaries and thought we would put all of these resources in one place.
Here are some of the blog posts that we have written on the subject:
- Back to Basics - Data Dictionary vs. Business Glossary
- Back to Basics - What Goes Into a Business Glossary
- Get Off to a Good Start When Writing a Glossary Definition
- Key Principles and Thoughts of Writing Good Business Glossary Definitions
- Common Language - More on Business Glossaries
- Use a Consistent Approach to Include Valid Values and Reference Data in a Glossary Definition
Also, we have a few videos in our YouTube Channel regarding business glossaries including:
- The When, Who, How and What of Writing Good Business Glossary Definitions
- Glossary and Data System Inventory - Great Places to Start
- Best Sources of Business Glossary Content
- Mistakes to Avoid When Implementing a Business Glossary
- What's the Difference Between a Data Catalog and a Business Glossary
- How to Start Building Content for a Business Glossary
And we have done some webinars on the subject as well (here are the recordings):
- Tips for Writing Great Business Glossary Definitions (30 minutes)
- Business Glossary Best Practices (30 minutes)
- Demonstration of the Data Cookbook Business Glossary Features (60 minutes)
As always, we will be adding content resources on a variety of data governance related subjects. Feel free to check out our data governance resources page to access all the resources. Feel free to let us know any other resources that could aid you in your data governance journey.
IData has a solution, the Data Cookbook, that can aid the employees and the organization in its data governance, data intelligence, data stewardship and data quality initiatives. IData also has experts that can assist with data governance, reporting, integration and other technology services on an as needed basis. Feel free to contact us and let us know how we can assist.
Photo Credit:StockSnap_8A670850BE_BusinessGlossaryResources_Library_BP #B1158